I've just been mulling over the provocative and delightful question of what I might do with a million dollars should I find myself the proud owner of it suddenly.
First, I would tithe on it. For Mormons, that's a steep 10%. (Don't worry, the blessings are equally steep.)
Then, the government would forcefully seize a huge chunk. (Taking taxes.)
Then, I would put the remainder into an investment account, attempting to achieve a fixed, modest interest rate (10%). My goal, of course, would be to be able to retire on the interest (around $60,000/year).
Then, we would save for a nicely sized home with the interest while Royal still worked full time. We would need to afford something out west. I'd shoot for Logan, Utah, if this happened tomorrow.
Then, when we could pay cash for a property our family could grow in, I would persuade Royal to quit his job and move us out to Utah.
Then, I would attend school full or mostly full time while Royal was a full time Daddy. Although, I can see us both doing school, and being stay-at-home parents as well, as long as we didn't overdo with the school load.
Now, that is what I mean about ruining my life! The most important roles in my life, wife and mother, would be in danger of being upstaged. As in, I would be severely tempted to pursue the wonderful worldly success I would so much enjoy, and let Royal take up the slack in the "nurturing the children department".
If I were free from the very heavy job of nurturing three young children full time, I would miss the most important learning experience God has for me here on earth. By "learning experience," I mean the most painful, exhausting, demanding, frustrating, and lengthy period of my entire life. Yes, I can't say at this moment, I would mind missing some of it! I wish with all my heart I could miss some of it!
But, I also believe that at the end of my life, I will wish I hadn't missed any of it. I believe that I may regret missing any of it for the pleasure of an honorable education, or a wonderful career that benefits society, or owning a business that creates jobs for great people who are willing to work, or founding a school for young people who wish to learn real life skills.
I believe life will have its seasons for me. I plan to contribute in many wonderful ways to this great world. I plan to achieve wonderful worldly success.
But, if I were handed the chance to miss out on the most important hard thing I will ever do (mothering full time while my children are babies.), I think it would be too tempting. It may just ruin my life.
Not to mention, Royal might miss out on the fulfillment of at least one of his most important roles: Provider.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yup, sometimes I miss the pat on the back for a job well done I used to get from my job.
When I resigned from that job, and after persuasion to stay failed, they simply asked how much would it cost for me to stay. I realized they couldn't pay me enough money to leave this beautiful child of mine all day and spend that time with them instead. =]
Post a Comment