Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tightwad Learns a Lesson




Yesterday, at the start of Nap Time, I found an irresistible offer in my Email Inbox. Free 8x8 photo book, hardcover. *Shiver of delight* One Day ONLY. Offer expires June 27. (Retail value approx. $24)

Now you can guess what I did during naptime. After an hour of compiling my best photos from the last 8 years, and on the verge of dragging-and-dropping them into the book, my phone rang.

(Dun-Dun-Dun-Duuunnnnnnn.....)

Caller ID reads Seth W., Royal's cousin who is coming to visit in a few weeks. (With his family, and 3 kids.)

Or, is it next week? I thought he was coming June 27.... AAAAGGGGHhhhhhh!

"Hello, This is Elizabeth. Hi, Seth. Oh, you're at the Science Center. Cool. No, we won't be meeting you there as I had planned, but I will have dinner ready for you guys when you get here. Great! See you then."

End of Photo-booking reverie.

Well, that is what happened, but that anecdote really diverges from the point I wanted to make. Therefore, we will return to the time before the phone call.

There I am, downloading pics from our Camera, looking for pics on my harddrive, and realizing I will have to look on my other harddrive because my pics from even the last year are on 3 computers and a separate digital camera. (Not counting the ones on the phone. They are too hard to bother with.)

And, even after searching all those locations, I can't find half a dozen pictures of Royal and Myself together in the same shot.

And, we've spent at least 3 evenings a month together, away from the kids, doing something, for the last 8 years.

Almost no pictures. No recorded history.


I was almost heartbroken. He is My Honey, and you wouldn't know it from looking at my photos.

I decided at that point to dedicate this photobook to Royal, and the marriage we've built. He doesn't know yet. (Don't tell.) But what he does know is that I need a decent snapshot camera. And what he is about to find out is that we are not going to go anywhere as a family anymore without that camera! And we can even take it on dates! I WILL have a record of my marriage, a photo record at that.

I love you, Royal!

Unfortunately, we will be paying the retail cost of this photobook since I couldn't finish it yesterday!!!

It was worth it, since we had a lovely visit with Seth and Amanda. Their kids played perfectly with ours, and it was fun to get to know them a little bit.

5 comments:

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

Great idea! Hope you have FUN with it!

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

I just noticed something in pic #1 - do you see what I see? Look at Jimmy . . . his shorts are on backwards :- ) Love your family!! Miss you all!!!

Kira =] said...

I had to laugh at all the hunting you had to do for pictures on various hard drives. I thought that was just us! You might want to check out Becky Higgins website. she is a huge advocate for documenting life. I have been taking the camera everywhere. And just in case I forget the big nice one, I stashed our small digital camera in the car glovebox.

Coincidentally one of the best pictures of us, is one I took with my cellphone in the parking lot of the movie theater just to document we went out and had a date. =]

GrammaonaMission said...

This was great! So glad you are still blogging. See you in two weeks or so. Love ya!!!

Jan Parker said...

Love and miss you!
I have pictures of you two I think...want some? Oh wait...I think you got them when you were here visiting. :)