Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Friends in our Basement... or Enemies?

In hunting for an easy, harmless way to get rid of our 8-legged basement guests, I found this:


"However, if we base everything on statistics and facts, spiders can be considered "safe" around humans. Most spiders are non-venomous while those which are venomous are also non-aggressive. In fact, spiders only bite whenever they are threatened and only do so in order to protect themselves. Nevertheless, according to US statistics, spiders can cause the death of three Americans every five years. The numbers might be low, but the fact that they are capable of killing people is still enough to encourage homeowners to exterminate them and drive them out of their homes for good."

Seriously? Only 3 people every five years? You've a much higher chance of winning a lottery!!!

However, I must consider the fact that we, as humans, don't find spiders enjoyable company; even I don't while knowing they are safe. They just seem creepy. (Probably because they are creeping.)

And, my guests which I sleep in the basement are always humans.

Therefore, I continue to find a way to preserve my basement as pest-free...

4 comments:

Abigail said...

Venomous or not.......who really wants to get bit by a spider? And a spider's idea of being threatened isn't the same as a human's!

Kira =] said...

I'm sure your guests appreciate the effort. Personally, roaches give me the major heebie jeebies before spiders.

sleepless said...

Is that heading photo for real ?? Is there such a cross street ?

Jan Parker said...

The thing about some spiders is that while their bite might not kill,...their bite is so full of toxins that it kills the flesh around the bite...and then keeps killing the flesh so that the wound gets bigger and deeper. It is totally gross and awful and it is hard to stop the spread! I don't like roaches either but they don't bite and they aren't poisonous.