Last year (2006), we were in a rental home during planting season, and put a few herbs in pots.

In May 2006, we got back home and put in some Zinnia seed. They grew for Grace! I'll try to post some wonderful pics. They bloomed through December 1st! (far left pic)



The Year before that (2005) we were in 2 different rental homes during planting season. We didn't plant.
The year before that (2004, I suppose... how time does fly!) we built 2 small raised garden beds. The only picture I have is the strings marking the squares. You may wisely note that each bed is completely shaded. Hmmm... why didn't that ever occur to me?
Grace helped me plant carrots seeds, and something else that also didn't grow. This was my poor attempt at Square foot gardening.
So, this year! 2007! No time like the present, eh!
This winter, I read the excellent book, "How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons. It is a "biointensive" method of gardening, which translates to 1. you plant "tightly", similarly to the square foot method, and 2. you carefully "grow" your soil so that your garden can always be self-sustainable, without fertilizers and other things being trucked in from someone else's land.
Jeavon's perspective of sustainability has really drawn me in and changed the way I look at the soil, the earth, and the things I consume. This may sound weird, but I now feel closer to understanding the earth and how all we have comes from it. Jeavon's doesn't do any preaching in his book, but I've grown so much from reading it! I recommend it highly, and please do yourself a favor and get it free from the library! It has been around at least 30 years.
Back to my garden in 2007, So, we picked a sunnier spot for this year's garden. Royal helped me prepare the soil. Along with our 6 tomatoes, 6 peppers, and one strawberry plant (thought Grace would love that), we splurged and bought 3 blueberry bushes! (I've wanted to put in some kind of fruit for about 5 years.)
Today, Royal put in some okra seed, and I tossed in a few basil and Nasturtium (flowers that repel bugs in theory) seeds.
In our remaining shady raised garden, Grace put in Cosmos Flower seeds several weeks ago, and today she put in Zinnia's from 2 years ago. Maybe they'll grow. I've kept them in the freezer carefully.
So, Wish us luck! If we live here through August, maybe we will get something. As we pray for a harvest, nourish our plants with great care, and keep the Sabbath day holy, we are very hopeful for some food blessings.
No comments:
Post a Comment