In my church, we have a completely lay ministry. (Everyone who works at the church is a volunteer.) Actually, everyone who joins my church is expected to work in whatever capacity they are asked to.
So, how it works is, the Bishop is the man "in charge" of a congregation (called a ward.) Sometimes he preaches on Sunday, but usually he asks other members to give short "sermons" (on an assigned religious topic) to the congregation. We call that "giving a talk". So, different members of the ward do the preaching.
Anyway, the Bishop works with 2 other volunteer men to find people to do the church work. He prays with those men about who the Lord would like to have serving in any given "job"(we say "Calling"). Then, he asks that person if they are willing to do the task. If they say yes, the Congregation is given a chance to vote to sustain or object, and then the individual receives training on how to do the calling right.
Well, 2 weeks ago, I was asked to serve as Relief Society (Our women's organization) President. It is one of the biggest jobs in a ward.
So, I'm praying that the Lord will make me into whatever it is he would like me to be. I can't imagine a calling I might be less adequate for. You can pray for me too, if you get a moment.
So much for my sweet, peaceful, lazy summer... ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Elizabeth, I know you'll be great! You're right--that's a huge job, and a huge responsibility for someone as young as we are, and someone who still has 2 small kiddos but I know that the Lord will help you be equal to the task. I know you can do it! :)
....oh, THAT'S why you're moving....
Post a Comment