Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Marital Advice in the Scriptures

As proper and happy marriage has been one of my goals since childhood, I have often asked the question, "Why isn't there more guidance for couples and marriage in the holy scriptures?"

Well, yesterday I had an insight which is neither original nor unique. Yet, it answered my question. The answer is:

"All of scripture is marital guidance."

Which I take to mean, all true principles found in God's word also apply to happy marriage. Let me give you an example.

Take the scripture, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ." Romans 1:16

Personal meaning might be something like I am not afraid to be a Christian in public places. As in, I am not afraid to pray over my food in a restaurant, or I am not afraid to be honest in situations where it is unpopular, or I am proud to know my Lord.

But, as marriage guidance it might mean that You and Your spouse should not be embarrassed to have Christ in your home. You're not embarrassed to read the Bible together. You're not embarrassed to have His picture on your wall.

So, now I see that the scriptures can be likened unto a couple as well as unto an individual. Wow!

There is a plethora of marriage advice in there!

No comments: