This is a lovely month. I liked February here in Missouri, but March is friendlier. The daffodils have blossomed, and much of the grass is green again. We even have some flowering shrubs out front.
Some of our progress here includes growing accustomed to Grace being in school. Royal and I have a complete Rumba routine! We have several friends here now. Sienna is a Sunbeam, and we all love her 2 teachers. (We have 14 sunbeams active in the class, so we have 2 teachers.) Sienna and I also participate in a little get together once/week where we learn a few words in spanish with 2 other 3 year olds.
If I may say so myself, my seedlings are gorgeous! I wasn't sure how they would do since my seeds have been in the freezer over 5 years! I followed the procedure from the book You Bet Your Tomatoes. I think the most unusual part of it is that as soon as your seedlings pop their little green heads up, you need to put them within one inch of a 4-bulb flourescent shoplight. He specifically states that 5 inches isn't close enough and neither is 2 and a half! Putting them so close to the light has made my seedlings stocky instead of real tall and skinny. Of course, this means that as they grow you slowly raise the light so the top of the seedling is always within one inch of the surface.
Here is Sienna describing her baby flower. (She picked it out and planted the seeds.)

Okay, what we are looking at above includes Jupiter peppers, Basil, Cilantro, and flowers.
This picture is the other side of the boxtop holding my seedlings within an inch of the ceiling. This side has my tomatoes, dill weed, flowers (white 9 pack), and parsley. I have the cups on staggered layers of smaller boxes since some need to be higher to reach the light.
I've included close-ups (at the top of post) of my pride and joy: my meaty tomatoes!
Some of our progress here includes growing accustomed to Grace being in school. Royal and I have a complete Rumba routine! We have several friends here now. Sienna is a Sunbeam, and we all love her 2 teachers. (We have 14 sunbeams active in the class, so we have 2 teachers.) Sienna and I also participate in a little get together once/week where we learn a few words in spanish with 2 other 3 year olds.
If I may say so myself, my seedlings are gorgeous! I wasn't sure how they would do since my seeds have been in the freezer over 5 years! I followed the procedure from the book You Bet Your Tomatoes. I think the most unusual part of it is that as soon as your seedlings pop their little green heads up, you need to put them within one inch of a 4-bulb flourescent shoplight. He specifically states that 5 inches isn't close enough and neither is 2 and a half! Putting them so close to the light has made my seedlings stocky instead of real tall and skinny. Of course, this means that as they grow you slowly raise the light so the top of the seedling is always within one inch of the surface.
I've included close-ups (at the top of post) of my pride and joy: my meaty tomatoes!
3 comments:
It looks Fabulous! you are doing a great job!
Sienna looks so beautiful in that second picture!
Wow, I am amazed and in awe. I knew all those 6 am weeding sessions in Al. would pay off sometime. Ha! Ha! Really good job and I am "Well pleased."
Love forever,
MOM
Post a Comment