Friday, February 26, 2010

Letter to a friend

Here is an excerpt from a letter I wrote today:

"I just started homeschooling Grace, and every day feels like a fresh puzzle to sort through. I like puzzles, don't get me wrong. Its just not so fun to do them with 3 little voices singing, “Mom! Mom! Mom!” etc. Okay, only 2 voices. Jimmy is just up to a mumbled growl or whine so far. He doesn't call me, yet.

The good news is that Grace is already much happier and less tired each day. She is kinder to everyone, especially Sienna, than she was at the time we unenrolled her from school.

I'm rounding out nicely. I even have some good news about that. I know I mentioned to you that one hard thing about this pregnancy has been gaining too much weight too fast. Well, I saw a dietician, and I've been recording what I eat. I was really- and I mean REALLY- dreading writing it all down. (Who wants to write down that she just ate 6 rice krispy treats?) But, the surprise is that I feel way more in control of my diet now. I actually love writing down what I eat. At the end of the day, I can look back and see how many carbs I have left for my evening treat. (I get to have dessert every night, but I'm supposed to aim for only 150 calories.) Sometimes, I can have cupcakes, and sometimes I have a fruit smoothie, depending on how many carb servings I'm “allowed” by day's end. So, since I started writing down what I eat, and being conscious of my servings, I haven't gained any weight over the last 3 weeks! That is a huge achievement. I only sometimes get cravings that I “shouldn't” have. And, I only sometimes indulge those cravings. :-)

I am really feeling “homemakey” lately. .. I am having urges to quilt (which I don't even know how to do), clean, garden, and organize the basement, and all this with basically 1 free hour a day. Well, the urges aren't painful, so who cares if I actually indulge them or not. "



Life is good and full. My mom lives with us now, and is constantly busy helping around the house. I took Royal on a Getaway to Nauvoo, IL, about 2 weeks ago. Thank you, Gma Gail! It was wonderful to get away for 2 days.

3 comments:

D, A, B, Z, and Ak said...

So you are home schooling again? You'll have to keep us informed how it's going! (wish you were here to help a new gal who was home schooled and plans to home school her kids) You do a great job with your kids!!!

Freth Stifter said...

I think most of us avoid that part about writing down all that we eat ... :-)

Say "Hey!" to Gma Gail. (from R. & A.)

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

So very goal driven!! Your inspiring :- )