Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Slavery or Power Hour?

Well, Friend, if you have been a long-time reader, then you know how we do chores around my house. You know that around Christmas time last year, Royal and I started a new set of chore assignments. And, you also know that I had my 3rd child in March.

You guessed correctly that new mothers don't get many chores done. And you've been wondering who did all the chores after Jimmy was done. You got it! ROYAL.

You also deduced that I've basically recovered since I've been posting like crazy for awhile now. So, you're big question has been: Has Elizabeth been slowly assuming more and more responsibility for the household as she has gotten stronger until she has now re-absorbed all the chores and other responsibilities of the entire household and is that driving her just a little crazy?

YES!!!!! Ding, Ding, Ding! You win! That's right!

So, Royal and I have a Companionship Inventory.

(That's where we sit down for an hour sunday night and do a number of things, [pray, schedule, family goals, each kid's needs, appreciate each other] but it ends with concerns we each have.)

And I say,"Royal, the chores thing isn't working any more."

"Well, lists don't work for me, so how about you just ask me whenever you need help?"

"But I hate asking you for anything! I don't think that will work"

(Long, thoughtful pause as we each brainstorm new possibilities.)

Suddenly a wonderful, exciting, warm idea spreads all over my brain. "Royal, I know! Why don't we decide how much time you have for chores now, and you can just be my personal slave for those times, and I'll tell you what I need you to do?"

"Perfect!"

Now, Friend, what you probably don't know about me is this: I have felt the need for a personal servant for some time now. Therefore there couldn't be a more lovely arrangement as far as I'm concerned. And for Royal, he can now know exactly when his chore obligations have been perfectly fulfilled, so no guilt! He doesn't have to remember where the Honey Do list is, and I don't have to make one up and stress about why it has been lost again!

I call it my Power Hour, but he calls it Slave time. "What can I do for you now, Master?" and

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Pinky?" Have become our new banter. What could be more perfect?

3 comments:

FoxFamily said...

You guys crack me up!!!

wilkinson family said...

i love it, too funny. i know it works, but i esp. like the banter and I can totally hear royal saying that.

oh, how are the workouts coming along?

Abigail said...

ROFL!! I LOVE IT!! I'm stealing your fabulous idea. That will totally work for my husband cause he's the exact same way and I don't want to have to ask him all the time! LOVE IT!!