Thursday, February 26, 2009

Public School

We have finally succeeded in registering Grace in school here.

Some good points include that her reading skills have jumped a LOT. (She had the skills, but had a very hard time finding the motivation to practice at home.) Also, she has been invited to participate in 3 fundraisers within 3 weeks. (I'm very opposed to my 6 year old raising funds for the public school. NOT going to happen, much to her dismay.) And, um, I'm sure there is another good point I can think of... Oh, yeah, all the bad behaviour she is imitating from other children has given us more opportunity to talk about how special families are and how sometimes we see bad behavior from others that we choose not to re-enact.

I was so excited while practicing reading with her yesterday. She was able to read 90% of the words with no input from me! WOW! That was awesome. (We're talking Dick and Jane level.) By the way, I have not seen any early readers as wonderful and simple to read as Dick and Jane. They also display traditional family values. (Every story occurs within a family that includes 2 parents living in the same house. Also, the children play together.)

2 comments:

Kira =] said...

Oooh, do you have a Dick & Jane book? I have one I could send your way since we aren't at that level yet.

Jan Parker said...

Way to go Grace! Keep it up!

Dad and I LOVED ballroom dancing and miss it... gave it up when he was Bishop and haven't had the time since he always works on Saturday nights (when the club had monthly dances) The rumba is fun but the Tango...now there's a dance for you! You're really gonna love it!