Friday, February 6, 2009

Tightwad Friday: Baby Nose Drops

Jim has had three colds in December and January. We have used a lot of "Little Noses" saline drops. When the bottle ran out the first time, I found the recipe below handy. I just refilled the third time today.

"Saline nose drops are used to clean your baby’s nose, especially when he has a cold or
congestion (stuffy nose). Homemade saline (salt water) nose drops are recommended
because other kinds of over–the–counter nose drops may contain drugs that are harmful to
your baby.

"Making nose drops:
"Saline (salt water) nose drops can be made as follows. You will need to buy a dropper at
the pharmacy [I just reuse my Little Noses bottle, although I do have a clean dropper]:
• Add 1/2 teaspoon of table salt to 8 ounces of warm tap water. (I boil cold tap water. I try to never drink water from the water heater.)
• Salt will dissolve in the warm water.
• Allow to cool before using. (Ya think?)

"How to use nose drops

Place 3–4 drops in one side of your baby’s nose while the head is tilted slightly back.
Suction with the bulb syringe. Repeat on the other side. Baby may cough, sneeze and/or
swallow part of the solution. This is normal.

Saline nose drops can be used whenever needed. If your baby has a cold or nasal
congestion that makes feeding difficult, use the nose drops before feedings.

Homemade saline nose drops should be made daily. (Not mine.)d

Store the saline in a clean bottle and use a clean dropper (washed in hot soapy water,
rinsed well with hot water).

1 comment:

Kira =] said...

Very frugal! Thanks for sharing. We go through a lot of saline drops during cold season. But my favorite thing is my cool mist humidifier. =]