Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Grace in Real Life

(Okay, I feel in order to tell this incredibly short, cute story, I must first make a discourse about my parenting philosophy. So, for those of you who might appreciate a little brevity, skip past this section in parentheses. Okay, so my personal feeling on my children's academic achievement is this:
My kids don't need to be "above average." I want my kids to have responsibilities. I want my kids to feel the joy of achievement. They will be expected to complete all their school responsibilites when they get into school. But I will not push them to learn academic things before they get into school. I want my kids to love to learn, but I don't need or want them to need to be the best. I believe in teaching them other than academic things while they are still at home full time with me.

Now, that said, I am perfectly happy to teach my kids anything academic they want to know. I even encourage them to want to know. I especially enjoy reading to them aloud.)

The other day Grace said to me, "I want you to teach me to read, Mommy."

"Sure, honey. I'll teach you whatever you want to know."

Grace reflected for a minute and then said solemnly, "I want to know all the words in the world- before my 6th birthday."

2 comments:

Myhouse4nine said...

Way cute family photo! No rush on knowing everything! I agree with the thought on not having to have them know everything before school. If they do, they are bored and get into trouble at school. Mine catch up pretty quickly at school. They have a good time too!

*Lyndsey said...

all three of my sisters SWEAR by the book "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." My oldest sister has taught all of her reading age children to read in this way... Maybe that would help in your endeavor?

http://familybradshaws.blogspot.com/2008/03/teach-your-child-to-read.html