Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hatching Adventures Part 3 (Tragedy awaits)

Well, we got back into town from our trip to Georgia this morning.

And, today was the scheduled hatching date for our latest batch of theoretically fertilized eggs (see previous post).

So, as soon as we got home (10:30 AM) I ran into the coop to investigate the situation. Four beautiful, fluffy, dried out chicks! We got them some water. The other eggs had either been broken or rejected by the hen.

Our intent this time around was to allow the mother to raise this batch of babies herself. So, we left them alone.

Later tonight (6:30PM), I went into check on things with the girls... And there was one baby chick who had walked a little away from his mom, and was lying there with a very large, bloody wound. So, I sent Grace into the house for an empty box to take these babies away from their mother. Before she returned I did a little test to see whether this mother had inflicted the wound or one of the other chickens. And, the mother didn't defend her other little ones, but she didn't attack them either. So, I think another chicken came over to lay and attacked the little fur ball.

And our not-too-bright mom didn't defend that poor baby.

Well, she was still alive. So I tried to clean her off, and then put her under the warming lamp to dry. I am sure she will die, but for now she is dry, peeping, and dragging her bedraggled self to the water and food (VERY good sign). I don't want to kill her. Although I sense that if I had any sense I would just put her out of her misery, I don't know how and I don't want to.

The other three are doing great. Very plucky.

No comments: