
I'm sitting here at 10:45 PM, holding a piece of ice for Jim to suck on while Daddy runs to the gas station for orajel. (Shannon, thank you so much for those cool baby-food netted thingies! I have wanted one for years.)
It all started this afternoon when I put a sock on his Right hand.
Our lovely son sucks his 2 middle fingers on his right hand. This has seemingly caused a seriously lopsided head shape.
Now, I don't want him to have to have the helmet. So, we've tried a padded wedge (thank you, Laura!). He wriggled himself into the bottom, and turned his head to the right.
So, we tried a bag of rice in a sock. (heavier wedge.) He wiggled off it in a few minutes.
So, now, Mommy feels determined to take away those beloved right handed fingers. And, at 5:30 this evening, the first sock went on the hand.
He did very well, only crying for 20 minutes before substituting with left hand. Until tonight!
He has been crying for 45 minutes. He never cries, so this is upsetting his Daddy royally. (wink, wink)
Daddy tried troubleshooting first: Does he need to burp? Does he have gas? Does he need a diaper change? Does he cry even with the light on? Does he cry when in the swing? (what a good Daddy!!!) Finally, R agreed to wear earplugs if I would comfort Jim.
Now Jim was crying with left fingers in mouth! So I put some pressure on his gums, and he stopped crying. Remove pressure, and he cried immediately. So, now, he is quietly sucking on ice, and waiting for orajel. First piece of ice just finished melting. What a good boy!
It all started this afternoon when I put a sock on his Right hand.
Our lovely son sucks his 2 middle fingers on his right hand. This has seemingly caused a seriously lopsided head shape.
Now, I don't want him to have to have the helmet. So, we've tried a padded wedge (thank you, Laura!). He wriggled himself into the bottom, and turned his head to the right.
So, we tried a bag of rice in a sock. (heavier wedge.) He wiggled off it in a few minutes.
So, now, Mommy feels determined to take away those beloved right handed fingers. And, at 5:30 this evening, the first sock went on the hand.
He did very well, only crying for 20 minutes before substituting with left hand. Until tonight!
He has been crying for 45 minutes. He never cries, so this is upsetting his Daddy royally. (wink, wink)
Daddy tried troubleshooting first: Does he need to burp? Does he have gas? Does he need a diaper change? Does he cry even with the light on? Does he cry when in the swing? (what a good Daddy!!!) Finally, R agreed to wear earplugs if I would comfort Jim.
Now Jim was crying with left fingers in mouth! So I put some pressure on his gums, and he stopped crying. Remove pressure, and he cried immediately. So, now, he is quietly sucking on ice, and waiting for orajel. First piece of ice just finished melting. What a good boy!
5 comments:
Ah yes the dreaded teething. We are experiencing that as well!! We like the Hyland's homeopathic teether tablets. They dissolve very easily & have a sweet taste. And when it gets very bad we use infant Tylenol & Motrin (once 6 months old). Good luck & happy earplug wearing! =]
Are you serious? Is finger sucking and head shape related somehow?
I was wondering the same thing as Melody. I've never seen finger sucking cause a problem with head shape. Will he take a pacifier? I hated the teething thing but my pacifier babies handled it better 'cause they chewed the heck out of the pacifiers (gums on rubber...squeek,squeek,squeek)it was a little annoying but it helped some. We are so excited we'll see you all soon!
The only reason we are thinking it might be the source of the problem is because his head is constantly turned to the right to suck on his fingers. All day, all night, on hard carseat surfaces as well as the somewhat firm foam and plastic matress he sleeps on. If it is still a problem when he is six months old, we'll be talking to the neurologist.
ah yes, we too are experiencing the teething. and hyland's is fantastic, i have used them for years.
lol, no need for the neurologist and yes if that's how he lays and sleeps then your right it is the fingers. lol eventually he will out grow this (maybe not at the 6 month mark)and have a normal rounded lovely head.
Post a Comment